HON100 Discussion Board: 2019-2023
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People?

4 posters

Go down

What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People? Empty What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People?

Post by Regina M Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:55 am

The Wiki isn't letting me post the link to the article. It is called "What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People" on the website The Balance Careers.

Based off of this article and your personal experience, are any of the characteristics of an inspirational leader listed in this article more vital than another? Would a leader still be inspirational if he or she was lacking one of these characteristics? When you encounter an inspirational leader, which characteristic makes the biggest impact on you?

Regina M

Back to top Go down

What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People? Empty Hey Regina!

Post by meliaw Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:08 pm

One of the most important characteristics of being an inspirational leader that the article focused on was inclusion. The article mentions that people need to feel connected to the work that goes into accomplishing a goal, and I agree with that. Being a part of a team and accomplishing something exceptional is much more satisfying when you know that you've done your part. I think that another vital characteristic that the article focused on was listening. Listening, both on the part of employees and employers opens so many doors for open communication which in turn helps to harbor positive workplace relationships. I think that to a certain degree, giving the people what they want is a little less important of a characteristic. I think that if somebody is working extremely hard and they ask for a raise, employers should take into account that hard work and the time and effort that someone is putting into their job and at least consider giving them that raise. I know that in certain situations employees can tend to ask for ridiculous amounts of recognition (like raises and such) without actually putting in the work. I don't think that giving the people what they want is unimportant, but I do think that leaders need to take it upon themselves to evaluate the circumstances that people are asking for to determine whether or not their employees are deserving of them. When I encounter an inspirational leader I am always struck most by their abilities to set the pace through expectations and examples, as well as their immense passion. If I see a leader who is able to set goals and practice what they preach, I find that extremely admirable. If you cannot follow your own standards then they aren't high enough. A leader showing passion is another very influential characteristic. If someone is unable to get themselves and their teams motivated, then the work being done is going to be unmotivated and non-authentic. It's also extremely difficult to follow somebody who shows no drive in regards to what they are teaching.

meliaw

Back to top Go down

What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People? Empty Re: What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People?

Post by hinesm Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:41 pm

I feel that any characteristic is vital for being a leader. For it depends one how one applies themselves not the skills they have. Anyone can be a leader, but they just need to learn how to apply themselves. I do agree with the article that communication is an important skill that everyone should have as a leader, but I feel that people have different skills to achieve that communication. I feel that communication is vital but people can communicate in different ways and still can create something that is productive. I feel that a leader can still be inspirational if they are lacking one of these characteristics, due to the fact that a every person has a different set of skills, and because of that you can have different kinds of leaders that work for different situations. Some characteristics may work for different situations but that doesn't mean that the characteristic is neither bad or good for leadership activities. I feel that the characteristic that makes the biggest impact is the ability to be understanding. I feel that this is very important for it allows the people who are following to feel that they are important and their concerns are valid. It is important to be understanding so everyone feels that they are valued and are an important part of a team.

hinesm

Back to top Go down

What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People? Empty Re: What Makes Leaders Inspirational to People?

Post by Anna B Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:17 pm

I think the most vital characteristic of an inspirational leader will differ depending on what people value the most in a leader. Personally, I see trust as the most important quality in an inspirational leader because trust leads to a strong, reliable relationship between leaders and those being led; if given the choice, most people would not follow someone they do not trust, and if they did out of necessity then that leadership experience would not be fulfilling for either parties. However, I also think it is not necessary for leaders to have all of these qualities in order to be inspirational leaders. In fact, I would argue that inspirational leaders often do not possess all of these qualities. Also, on an individual basis, it would be virtually impossible for every single person being led to perceive their leaders as having all of these qualities; it is inevitable that what some people see as inspirational leadership will not be true for others.

Anna B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down