HON100 Discussion Board: 2019-2023
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is an inspirational leader?

+3
Regina M
Faith L
hinesm
7 posters

Go down

What is an inspirational leader?  Empty What is an inspirational leader?

Post by hinesm Wed Nov 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Moderator of Discussion: Morgan Hines

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me through my Instagram @mchmo

Article:The article can be found on the New York Times website and it titled "What is Inspiration?" by David Brooks. Unfortunately the website is not letting me add the link to the article, but if I am able to soon I will let you know.

Questions:

Based on this article, what is inspiration?

How can you use this to become an inspirational leader?

How does this article apply to Purposeful Leadership, and the idea of being an inspirational leader?

hinesm

Back to top Go down

What is an inspirational leader?  Empty Re: What is an inspirational leader?

Post by Faith L Thu Nov 14, 2019 10:26 am

Based on this article, I think Brooks is trying to say that inspiration is a feeling a person gets that drives them to either do better at achieving a goal or task or to continue pursuing that goal. However, while Brooks says this feeling happens in individuals it is spread by others and cannot be achieved from just oneself. I can use this article to remember to spread motivation and inspire others wherever I am by encouraging and pushing them to achieve their goals. This article relates to the purposeful leadership model because it not only describes what the feeling of inspiration can do, but also how it is generated: by passing it on to others. This helps leaders understand how to provide motivation and inspiration to their employees and why doing so is essential in business.

Faith L

Back to top Go down

Post by Regina M Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:51 pm

David Brooks describes the feeling of being inspired as being the moment "when the mind and the spirit take flight." I really like that description. As a creative writer, I do feel myself "take off" when I get a new idea for a story. With this in mind, an inspirational leader is a leader that feels this amplified sense of liberating creativity and is able to diffuse that feeling amongst their listeners, followers, etc. An inspirational leader should be inspired to make an impact on his or her audience as well as a drive to share his or her inspiration. An inspirational leader should leave his or her audience with that same feeling of taking flight, and they should "feel transcendent, uncontrollable and irresistible. When one is inspired, time disappears or alters its pace." As students, we can use Brooks' definition of inspiration to help find our drive and to help drive others. I consider myself to be a leader in the area I am passionate in. As a leader, it is my job to share my passion and inspire others to act, make an impact or a change, etc.

Regina M

Back to top Go down

Post by Sam M Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:23 pm

According to David Brooks, inspiration is an uncontrollable sensation that people feel when they almost magically receive "some new perception. . .." I had never though to describe inspiration this way, and find it really accurate. For instance, because I enjoy painting watercolor landscapes, when I see a beautiful scene I am immediately drawn to get out my paintbrushes. Inspiration is especially important in leadership, because it gives leaders a new found energy to pursue something new. Often what inspires leaders is a new idea that they have never even thought about. Therefore when following one's inspiration, one is taking a risk. Taking risks is very important in leadership because it shows confidence and allows leaders to explore many new topics that they would not have had experience with.

Sam M

Back to top Go down

Post by hinesm Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:14 am

I think that all of your points reveal interesting points about leadership and how one can be an inspirational leader. I like how Faith compared inspiration to a feeling. It is an interesting way to look at inspiration. Regina discussed how inspiration is a moment. I thought this was an interesting perspective especially since since you need to complete an action in order to inspire others. Sam Martin made an interesting point about how inspiration is an uncontrollable sensation that people feel, and that is almost magical. I really enjoyed all of your thoughts on this article.

hinesm

Back to top Go down

Post by Izzie L Wed Nov 20, 2019 2:34 pm

Brooks makes it quite clear that inspiration is not something that is attainable by control or by attempt. You cannot control who or what inspires you, nor can you control the ability to inspire others. Sure, it is a characteristic that I'm sure a lot of us would love to have, as to be inspiring is to be a natural leader, to be a respectable role model. To be an inspiration is to be someone or something that has such force, such drive, something that is so undeniably influential that people are drawn to it like a magnet. Knowing that I myself cannot just simply become inspirational, I suppose all I can do is what's in my power, and try to conduct myself in a manner that satisfies me. If I act in such a way that makes me proud, I know that outside validation is no longer required. One characteristic of a good leader is humility, as well as self-satisfaction. Think about it: a leader you look up to never has to demand attention, but simply commands it.

Izzie L

Back to top Go down

Post by hinesm Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:43 pm

Hey Izzie, I like how you talked about how Brooks addresses control. I feel that this is important when discussing inspiration. For it is true that you cannot control what inspires you. I also liked the characteristics you discussed in your post as well.

hinesm

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna B Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:00 pm

Brooks describes inspiration as something that is "not permanent and solid" but "ephemeral," which I agree with. Inspiration often happens at random times and we cannot control when inspiration will come, although any good leader knows how to harness this inspiration when it finally does come. Throughout the article, Brooks portrays inspiration as something akin to luck, meaning that it will come regardless of actual effort or talent. This reminded me of one of the points Stephen King makes in his book, On Writing, in which he advises writers not to wait for a fickle muse to come inspire them, but to instead rely on their own talent and hard work to become a successful writer. I think combining Brook's more idealistic approach that inspiration is a type of "magic" with King's realistic approach that inspiration cannot replace hard work is the most beneficial way for leaders to see inspiration.

Anna B

Back to top Go down

Post by Kristen R Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:48 pm

In the article, Brooks explains that inspiration is a desire to work while not expecting anything in return. An inspired worker want to complete the work not for a pay raise or a promotion, they do it because they are inspired to do it. Brooks also makes the point that inspiration is not always permanent. In my own experience, I find myself to be inspired one minute and uninterested by that same topic an hour later. Although I was inspired in the moment, I ultimately became uninspired and decided not to act on my prior feelings. Although this does constitute the idea of inspiration, I think someone who is truly inspirational has an impact on their audience for a longer amount of time and someone who is truly inspired decides to work to make a change even if it is not easy.

Kristen R

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down