HON100 Discussion Board: 2019-2023
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Why has leadership become synonymous with manliness and what can we do to change it?

2 posters

Go down

Why has leadership become synonymous with manliness and what can we do to change it? Empty Why has leadership become synonymous with manliness and what can we do to change it?

Post by Kristen R Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:55 pm

This discussion is based off of The New York Times article "What Makes a Leader?"
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/17/business/women-power-leadership.html

The article explains how women are not taken seriously as leaders unless they portray the aggressiveness of men. Why is this the case and how can we change it?

Kristen R

Back to top Go down

Why has leadership become synonymous with manliness and what can we do to change it? Empty Re: Why has leadership become synonymous with manliness and what can we do to change it?

Post by Izzie L Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:08 am

This article truly resembles Women in Power, where Mary Beard discussed the authority that women possess in our society, and that whilst women are in power, they are never truly appreciated as great leaders as much as trouble. I, personally, don't necessarily agree with the statement that women are never taken seriously in roles of leadership, however I do see this societal stance where women commonly dress in suits and speak lower and with more power in their voices to be seen as more legitimate figures. If you are someone who sees women as less of a leader, I think, in short, that you are ignorant and just need to get over yourself. However, if we want to discuss change, I think that if ANYONE wants to be seen as a legitimate leader, they need to portray themselves as legitimate people first, and stay true to themselves and what they believe, and not take on the persona of anyone else just to seem more fit for the job. This also will ensure the right people are in power.

Izzie L

Back to top Go down