HON100 Discussion Board: 2019-2023
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Democratic vs. Transformational Leadership

3 posters

Go down

Democratic vs. Transformational Leadership Empty Democratic vs. Transformational Leadership

Post by briaf Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:24 pm

Through my research for the leadership style project, I have found that democratic and transformational leadership are very similar and powerful. I was wondering which one you find more interesting and applicable?

Here are two sources that helped me figure out what the two leadership styles looked like:
Choi, Sanghan. “Democratic Leadership: The Lessons of Exemplary Models for Democratic Governance.” International Journal of Leadership Studies, Vol. 2 Iss. 3, 2007, pp. 243-262
Hayati, Davood et al. “The relationship between transformational leadership and work engagement in governmental hospitals nurses: a survey study.” SpringerPlus vol. 3 25. 14 Jan. 2014, doi:10.1186/2193-1801-3-25

These are the definitions I came up with:
Democratic leadership is also known as participative leadership because it gives everyone the same amount of power in the decision-making process.
Transformational leadership is designed to encourage, inspire, and motivate employees to create change in their desired topic.

briaf

Back to top Go down

Democratic vs. Transformational Leadership Empty Re: Democratic vs. Transformational Leadership

Post by Anna B Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:19 pm

I feel as though while democratic leadership sounds ideal as everyone has an equal amount of power, transformational leadership would actually be more effective. Democratic leadership seems as though it would make all members in a team feel appreciated because they all have a say in whatever is going on, but I can also see how democratic leadership might have significant drawbacks if no unanimous decision can be reached, and then no one would have the power to make the final decision; this leadership style might get bogged down by indecisiveness. Transformational leadership seems as though it would have more success in the long run, in terms of effectively keeping a team motivated and inspired.

Anna B

Back to top Go down

Democratic vs. Transformational Leadership Empty Re: Democratic vs. Transformational Leadership

Post by Izzie L Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:53 am

Democratic leadership sounds rather idealized, where the system would have to be perfect and everyone would have to be willing to listen in order for it to work or bring about any form of progress. Transformational leadership sounds more like a "gold star" program rather than a leadership style, however would bring about more progress than democratic leadership, in my opinion. It seems as though the transformative nature of one would produce better thinkers, better people in general, whereas democratic leadership takes in a more well rounded account, however, prevents any real decisions from being made.

Izzie L

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down