HON100 Discussion Board: 2019-2023
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How do you view "engage"?

5 posters

Go down

How do you view "engage"? Empty How do you view "engage"?

Post by Becky S. Sat Nov 09, 2019 3:19 pm

How do you view "engage"? Your answer to this question can be based on the purposeful leadership model's explanation of it, or just on the idea of "engage" in general.
Becky S.
Becky S.
Admin

https://hon100discussion.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How do you view "engage"? Empty Re: How do you view "engage"?

Post by Sam M Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:31 pm

I view "engage" as the desire to become involved in something. I engage in tasks that encourage creativity and will be beneficial to me in the future. In addition, it is important to devote time to engage in activities that help others. For example, I replaced all of the blue trail signs in my town for my eagle scout project. This not only encouraged my creative side but also gave me an opportunity to give back to my community. In addition, the experience helped me to grow my leadership skills. I learned how to appropriately communicate with leaders in my town by working with the land trust, and also learned to always be one step ahead so I could change plans to avoid potential problems.

Sam M

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky S. Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:22 pm

I agree with your views on engagement. I think of "engage" as getting involved. My views on it actually overlap with my views on the meaning of inspire, which I described over in this topic. In order to engage others, you need to make whatever you're doing interesting in some way - whether it's by giving a goal or just making the process more enjoyable.
Becky S.
Becky S.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by HailleC Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:41 pm

I think the biggest point to emphasize about what engage means is that it usually isn't about you. Instead, it's about your peers. Understanding this, engage means taking the time to be selfless and focus on what would be the most beneficial for those around you. For example, if you are really interested and passionate about a topic, you can talk people's ears off for hours about it, however this is not engaging. Instead, you may need to take a step back and try to start the conversation about the topic, but leave it open to what others would like to say as well. It's important to let others talk and share their opinions for engagement.

HailleC

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky S. Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:00 pm

I also agree with that statement! Engagement is the part of the purposeful leadership model that I believe involves other people the most. And, as you perfectly explained, a engaging leader needs to understand their audience. If they don't, they'll never be able to connect with those following them.
Becky S.
Becky S.
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jonesk62@southernct.edu Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:45 pm

To me, "engage" is two-sided. One must be the "engager," but the other person also has to choose to be engaged. While I do see it as a requirement of being a purposeful leader, I believe those who are being led have the responsibility to choose to stay active. "Engage" is a word that demonstrates a requirement of energy. A leader can show passion and energy behind the idea or activity they are trying to engage the employees or peers in, but those same people should be so inspired by this engagement to match that very same enthusiasm. I understand a leader must engage, but they may be wonderfully energetic and not get a lot of feedback. I believe this is because it is a choice to be engaged. Obviously, it is more helpful if the leader is entertaining, but there is also purpose in being the people underneath the leader in regard of making the choice.

jonesk62@southernct.edu

Back to top Go down

Post by Anna B Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:30 pm

In terms of the purposeful leadership model, I believe that "engage" may be the most important quality of leadership; none of the other aspects of leadership can happen without engagement. If people are not engaged in a topic they will not be inspired either, and then how can any meaningful achievement or innovation be possible? It is necessary for both leaders and those being led to be engaged in whatever they are doing in order for any meaningful progress to take place. This is why effective leaders must be passionate about the leadership positions they undertake since true engagement is necessary to the success of all leadership situations.

Anna B

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down